Friday, March 3, 2017

Les Aventures de Madame Beaubien -- Helicopter Rendez-vous


(I am going by my code name, Madame Beaubien, because it sounds more French than my name. Besides, I like being called Madame!)




Patty and I were just casually wending our way to the old city of LePuy when a helicopter began flying overhead. It was working on Chapelle St. Michel d'Aiguilhe (St. Michael's Chapel of Aiguilhe). Apparently, every once in a while they have to shore up the sides of the rock so the church doesn't come tumbling down. Whew!

Chapelle St. Michel d'Aiguilhe sits on top of an extinct volcano and was built in the 10th-11th century. To get to it you must climb 268 steps. I haven't done it yet, but word has it that the view is fantastique





Here it is from the view of my bedroom window sans helicopter. It's the church on the far right. The church on the left, also on an extinct volcano, is Cathédrale Notre-Dame du Puy, which dates back as far as the first half of the 12th century. That's the Blessed Mother sitting on top of the cathedral.



No comments:

Post a Comment